Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Perplexed

Perplexed, but not in despair.

This is how I feel about our third flood in eight years. Perplexed, but not in despair.

Its a hassle, a financial hardship, to be sure. The ground floor of our home has to be reconstructed while we are living halfway around the world! Our renters are displaced and there is nothing we can do to help them. I am not pleased with this situation, I do not like it a bit. I can't begin to understand what God plans to do in and through this mess. I am most certainly perplexed.

But not in despair.

It's not that I have some Pollyanna-ish, pie-in-the-sky, grin-and-bear-it faith. It's not just a matter of perspective (and believe me, I know there are much worse things than a flood!). It's not even due to the fact that I know my troubles are "light and momentary" in the grand scheme of things. No, I am not in despair because I know my Dad.

I have a Father that makes sure sparrows are fed, and then reminds me that he loves me more than he loves the birds. Because he loves me, I know that he will do the most loving thing. His wisdom is unsearchable, his actions can be inscrutable, but his character is unchanging. He is Faithful and True. His promises are sure.

Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you.


Fear not--a command.
     For I have redeemed you--it's already done!
          I have called you by name--it's personal.
               You are mine--it's relational.
                    When you pass through the waters--WHEN not IF.
                         I will be with you--he always shows up.

So I weep, and I pray, and I shake my head, and I say, "Dad, I just don't get it!"

And he gathers my tears in a bottle, smiles and says, "Trust me. I've got this." And then he shows up. 

2 comments:

  1. First of all I am so very sorry. I can not imagine how difficult this is and so very frustrating. I am, as always, amazed at you my friend. How you are able to see your troubles as 'light and momentary' and how you have decided to wait for WHEN He shows up. Love you my dearest. Wishing I could hug you but am sending hugs across the ocean. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS