Friday, October 4, 2013

Called Out

Have you ever had someone speak convicting truth into you heart?  The kind of truth that wakes you up? The kind of truth that calls you out? The kind of truth that makes you both deeply sorry and profoundly hopeful? The kind of truth that Jesus uses to change you from the inside out?

Let me ask you this: What if that truth came from your son or daughter?

Would you be angry or honored?

I was honored.

Still, it was hard to hear. Even harder to admit that it was true. I wanted to justify my actions, I itched to defend myself. Instead, I acknowledged that my son was right. I apologized. I asked for forgiveness. I accepted forgiveness (that one was strangely difficult!). And I chose to believe that grace is greater than all my parenting mistakes.

Proverbs 27:6 says, "Faithful are the wounds of a friend." In other words, when those who love me tell me something that hurts, it's usually for my own good.

I am so thankful for a son who dared say some hard things so that I could grow.

Jesus, change me to be more like you through the revelation of this truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS