Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Magiland

We live in a beautiful historic medieval village, complete with a château, a dungeon, and a stone church. Among all of that beauty and grandeur lies a little eyesore called, "Magiland."


Magiland is a brightly colored merry-go-round made up of hideous kid-sized hot rods. As if its appearance were not horrific enough, it blares, and I mean BLARES the most obnoxious techno-disco-pop music I have ever heard. You could say that I am not a fan of Magiland.

Yet there it sits, atop the lovely cobblestones, under the watchful of eye of the statue of poet Alfred de Vigny, right in the middle of the square. And while I am repulsed by Magiland, children are drawn to it. They see the flashing lights and the moving parts and they are mesmerized. Captivated. Enchanted. Who could possibly care about an ancient castle when Magiland is calling? "Dungeon, smungeon, I want that pink corvette!"

As I jogged past Magiland the other day (sadly, it cannot be avoided!) I realized that it stands as a great reminder of how I can go through life. God, in his great care and wisdom, fills my days with deep meaning, rich experiences, and valuable treasures. But rather than recognize the extravagance of his gifts, I can respond like that kid in front Magiland, stubbornly demanding cheap thrills. 

How many sunsets have I missed because my nose was in a catalog pining away for a new sofa?  How many sweet children have I failed to cherish because I was intent on wiping fingerprints? How many opportunities to serve others have passed me by while I was planning my next vacation? 

Are you living your life for the good stuff that God has for you, or are you chasing the florescent flames of Magiland? The medieval village of Loches has been around for over 1000 years. Magiland is not going to make it that long. Neither are the luxuries of this world that scream for our time, money, and attention. But the things of God will last forever.


Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. Col. 3:2

2 comments:

  1. The French LOVE "le spectacle" which seems so unsophisticated,loud,etc.The fire eaters...They used to love Jerry Lewis and Charlot(Charlie Chaplin).When I mentioned wanting to visit Donremy,the birthplace of Joan of Arc my French friend from that region said"why?She's just ashes!"
    Good point about chasing after temporal pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, Lynn! Most French people I know, while liking a good spectacle, also cherish their national treasures.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS