Friday, March 15, 2013

The Rhythm of His Rest

The more I engage in the work of God's kingdom, the more I am learning to abandon my agenda and embrace the rhythm of His rest.

MY agenda is focused on goals, benchmarks, and achievements. I don't like wasted time! I want to see progress!  I plan, I work, I strive. Tasks reign supreme.

HIS rhythm is focused on relationships, daily disciplines, and small private victories. He redeems time. He transforms people. He engages, He empowers, He inspires. He reigns supreme.

MY agenda leads to busy-ness and fatigue; HIS rhythm leads to redemption and peace.

MY agenda seeks accomplishments; HIS rhythm brings satisfaction.

MY agenda is performance-based and glorifies self; HIS rhythm is grace-based and glorifies the Father.

My agenda screams and clamors for attention; His rhythm remains steady and sure, like a heartbeat. And when I abandon my agenda, I find the rhythm of His rest.

Five Minute Friday

6 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you. Followed you from FiveMinuteFriday. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Yes! and Yes! Amen. Beautifully said. In His rest all of our "agenda" gets accomplished because we relinquish control to Him. :)

    Here from FMF. Thanks for sharing! Have a beautiful weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Vicki! Well said, Mary. The root is a control issue, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, you were the one who inspired me to really take my writing to a whole new level and be more "outward" about it. It was the little "FMF" button on your post last week that sealed it. I am now a follower of Lisa Jo Baker, as well. As for today's FMF, I love what you said here about being goal-oriented and accomplishment based - that is so human, so American, and so our time on earth ... thank you for pointing it back to Jesus! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassy, YOU inspire me. I am so happy to be following your blogging adventure and I am blessed by the things God speaks through you. Sarah, true, yes! But hard for me to do! Only by His grace....

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS