Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Beloved

There are some things that even I struggle to describe. As much as I love words, words fall short. But since words are all that I have, I will do my best. 

When we arrived in France just over two years ago, we met a Dutch family with whom we felt an instant connection.They are a young couple with two young boys. Just a year before we met them they had buried a beloved baby girl. The first time I went to their house, I sat on their sofa and cried as I listened to my friend tell her story of grief and tragedy--yet, she had joy and hope. They had walked through the valley of the shadow of death, but their faith was strong. This family quickly became very dear to us, and over the past two years, we have only grown in love and admiration for them. 

You can imagine the excitement they felt when early this year they discovered that they were expecting a baby girl. While they were overjoyed, there were, understandably, some fears. But through the entire pregnancy, they chose to trust God. They consistently prayed, "Lord, this is your baby, and we pray that you would be glorified through this pregnancy, no matter what happens!" 

I was sitting with them at the breakfast table last Friday morning, just before they left to go to the hospital to be induced. After praying for the day and for the delivery of the baby, their very wise eight year-old boy said, "But I don't want her to be born today because then she will die today." He remembered the birth of his other sister, and couldn't imagine a different ending. 

"My friend," I said to him, "she might live."

"Yes," his mother added, "most babies live."

Still, they made no promises. For those who have lost something so dear, the possibility of such a loss is all too real.

So Friday and Saturday, while our friends were the hospital for the delivery, I hung out with their two boys and their nanny. We danced and played and watched movies. And then we got the call.


Amiée was born. Alive. Aimée means "beloved" in French.


And David and I are her god-parents. We are honored to be a part of this wonderful family in such a special way. I never dreamed that we (Americans) living abroad (in France) would have a Dutch god-daughter! Isn't God's family amazing!

2 comments:

  1. Who is that awesome-looking nanny? I would like to get to know her better...lol. JK.

    See ya'tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your friends!!! I'm so glad little Aimee was born safely and well...she and her family have been in my prayers! She looks like a total little knockout of a girl. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS