Saturday, May 7, 2011

Lost in Translation

Let me begin by saying that I have no desire to mock the French. It's just that as a person who is struggling to learn French as foreign language, I take some small comfort in knowing that the French face their own challenges in attempting to speak English. This is a sign that we saw today outside of an airport hotel:


Not only is there a typo on the sign on the right, the translation is fuzzy at best. One might be led to believe that longer cars must park to the left and shorter cars must park to the right. What they mean to say is that long-term parking is to the left, and short-term parking is to the right. 

I giggle because I know, I KNOW, that I make these exact types of errors one hundred times a day. I only hope my faltering French is as adorable to them as this little street sign is to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS