Thursday, September 10, 2009

Charlie Who?

I have new addiction: licorice. Black Licorice--which I used to hate--is the sweet I am seeking more often than any other. I love the really good stuff, but it is hard to find, so more often than not, I settle for Good & Plenty.

Every time I buy Good & Plenty I begin to sing a song from an old Good & Plenty advertisement. I have absolutely NO memory of the commercial itself, I learned the jingle from my sister, Keri. Nevertheless, like most jingles, it is well cemented in my mind and really rather catchy.

My family is a little bit sick of me and my jingle-singing, particulary because I can't tell them who Charlie is. I sing the jingle like this: (keep in mind I have a gift for messing up lyrics)

Charlie says, "Love my Good & Plenty"
Charlie says, "Really rings a bell!"
Charlie says, "Love my Good & Plenty"
And I never met a candy that I love so well.

So do any of you know who this Charlie is?

6 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSlyoVTX3I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Anne! Thanks. That is such an old commercial...even before my OLDER sister Keri's time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But just for the record, I had the tune exactly right, and was only slightly off on the lyrics. The power of advertising...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just curious, what's the "really good stuff?" My parents and I differ on our opinion of "really good black licorice."

    Oh, and while looking this up, I discovered the advertisement was on the radio as well! Choo choo Charlie started his advertising career in 1950.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Love my Good n'Plenty! love the youtube! love you too much!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS