Thursday, February 19, 2009

Shakespeare

I must confess, I'm a fan of the Elizabethan bard. He can be somewhat crude--unfortunately his linguistic genius is tarnished by his fallen estate. But lights of brilliance still shine out of his darkness. This past weekend I watched (on DVD) one of my all time favorite Shakespeare plays: Much Ado About Nothing. May I share a few of my favorite lines? They need no explanation, though I will hardly be able to restrain myself from commenting on each. I only hope my humble attempts to expand on the words of the great poet do not detract from the profundity of his wit.

"Silence is the perfectest herald of joy. I were but little happy, if I could say how much!"

To create a superlative form of a word like 'perfect' is sheer perfection in and of itself. And this sentiment rings so true with me. Deepest joy, for me, is not expressed in high pitched screams and clapping hands; rather in powerful, sincere silence.


"I do love nothing in the world so well as you. Is that not strange?"

I can imagine my husband speaking these words to me. We are SO different, as most couples are. Yet, we love each other fiercely. I can also imagine Jesus speaking these words to me. And yes, it is strange that the perfectest son of God would love a wretch a like me!

Beatrice: But for which of my good parts did you first suffer love for me?
Benedick: Suffer love! A good epithet! I do suffer love indeed, for I love thee against my will.

I know that we are taught that love is a choice, which is why we can be commanded to love in the Bible. But I have also found myself in this predicament of loving against my own will. Typically with kittens. I definitely suffer love for kittens.

"Why what's the matter, that you have such a February face, so full of frost, of storm, and of cloudiness?"

What a great description of a downcast person: A 'February face!'

"...for man is a giddy thing. This is my conclusion"

Giddy! I love that word. Definition? 'not level-headed and sensible, but likely to act impulsively or behave foolishly.' I never heard a truer description of humanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS