Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Last Hurrah!


Doesn't this look like a scene out of the movie, Stand by Me? It is actually the scene out of my living room window this morning. Five of the best boys ever spent the night in our home last night. We had a sort of spontaneous slumber party celebrating the last days of summer break. Yesterday they spent hours outside in the rain fighting each other with big sticks. They watched the long version of one of the Lord of the Rings movies, and argued over various fine points in the series. They challenged each other at video games, with one person always making the classic statement: "I play winner!" They consumed mass volumes of food. (It appears my kitchen has been swarmed by locusts.) And this morning they are back outside with their sticks, walking the tracks down to the park.

Given the verbs used in the previous sentences:"fighting," "argued," "challenged," "consumed," one might think the evening was full of strife, but the truth is quite to the contrary. The tough-guy-eleven and twelve-year-olds were actually full of camaraderie. They were polite and courteous to David and me at all times. Honorable young men!

Tomorrow, they all go back to school. My boys are betting that I will be the only mother of middle-schoolers that will cry on the first day of school. Since I ALWAYS cry on the first day of school, and they never see any other moms cry, they think this is a pretty safe bet. I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Love that pic- how fun - what a great scene- rugged, tough, young men! And you can cry all you want too. I will be there with you this year- both my kiddos gone all day long - I will miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you Jenn. I cried this year on the day my granddaughter started kindergarten and she is in Oklahoma! Some transitions are difficult. Deep down I bet your boys like you just like you are even if they do tease you!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS